- What is the topic of the speech?
- What is the speaker’s specific purpose?
- HIGHLIGHT with background color-Which of the following methods of gaining interest and attention does the speaker use in the introduction?
¨ Relate the topic to the audience ¨ State the importance of the topic
¨ Startle the audience ¨ Arouse the curiosity of the audience
¨ Question the audience ¨ Begin with a quotation
¨ Tell a story ¨ Refer to the occasion
¨ Invite audience participation ¨ Use visual or audio aids
¨ Refer to a previous speaker ¨ Begin with humor
- Does the speaker include a central idea/thesis that previews the main points of the speech in the introduction? State the central idea/thesis to show that you understand the definition of this concept.
- List the main points developed in the body of the speech.
- Are the speaker’s main points clear and easy to follow throughout the speech? Why or why not? (Do not just answer YES or NO)
- Does the speaker use a transition/signpost or other connective between each main point of the speech?
Please list a minimum of one used in speech if they are present (FYI – they SHOULD be present). Show that you understand the definition/concept of transitions/signposts in your answer.
- HIGHLIGHT with background color – Which of the following methods of referring to the central idea (thesis) does the speaker use in the conclusion?
¨ Restate the main points ¨ End with a quotation
¨ Make a dramatic statement ¨ Refer to the introduction
¨ Challenge the audience ¨ Call for action